Buckle up, Buttercups! Are you a swinger?
Chances are you've come across a few - drivers that swing across from the centre of the road to turn left.
This week's tip is simple:
Tip #34 Keep left when turning left (don't swing across!)
(For left-hand-side driving countries - obviously flip it for RHS-driving countries :-) )
* Keep left to allow traffic to flow past more safely - and for less risk of your car being rear-ended
* Slow down - if it feels like you need more space to make the turn, you're probably going too fast!
* Indicate early
* Scan ahead and check your mirrors to make sure it's safe to slow down and pull to the left
* Give any cyclists plenty of room, letting them go first rather than swinging across in front of them
* If you really do need the room to make the turn (Maybe when towing or driving a truck) pull over to let the traffic behind you go past (if you can do so safely) before making your turn.
Buckle up, buttercups! And don't swing :-)
PS - Please share my Buckle Up Buttercup tips! The more we talk about road safety and what we can do to keep ourselves and others safe – the safer our roads will be. Things that might be obvious to you might still be unknown to your friends or family.